Medical & Surgical Ophthalmology

Ophthalmology floaters

What are hoverflies?

In ophthalmology we call floaters or floating bodies to small spots in the form of threads, lines or spider webs that move through our field of vision. They are formed by a conglomerate of the gelatinous substance present inside the vitreous that fills the eye. The spots usually appear when we look at something flat, such as a smooth wall or the blue sky, and what we see are the shadows of these conglomerates projected on the retina.

As we age, the vitreous begins to thicken or shrink and may detach from the back of the eye. This is called posterior vitreous detachment and flies usually appear after the detachment. In most cases it is not a serious pathology and there is no imminent risk and they usually diminish or disappear gradually.

You are more likely to have hoverflies if:

  • Glasses are needed for distance vision(myopia).
  • He has undergone cataract surgery.
  • There is inflammation inside the eye.

What are flashes?

Flashes are flickering lights in the field of vision that occur when the vitreous has friction or the retina detaches. Intermittent flashes can be seen for months. As we age it is common to see flashes occasionally.

Treatment of floaters and flashers

In most cases, floaters and flashes should not be a cause for concern. However, on certain occasions they may indicate a more serious pathology.

When to see a doctor?

  • With the sudden appearance of new spots.
  • When loss of peripheral vision occurs.
  • When we see more hoverflies than usual.
  • When the flashes are particularly strong and numerous
  • If a shadow appears in the peripheral (side) vision.
  • If a gray curtain covers part of the vision.

In these cases the floaters and these flashes may be a symptom of a retinal tear or detachment. This pathology occurs when the retina separates from the back of the eye. It is a serious disease that must be treated.

Active clinical trials

Dry eye

Duration: 6 weeks
Treatment: drops

Open chat
Need help?